Saturday, April 20, 2013

We, The People!!

The first question that came to my mind on reading yet another report of rape on a girl/woman in my country back home is, "WHAT IS THIS WORLD I LIVE IN?"
The shock and disgust I felt on reading the report of the atrocity that was inflicted on that 5 year old girl was gut-wrenching. This is not the first time that such a news has reverberated to me as first thing in the morning and it is really disturbing from me. Reading such news makes you wonder that is there any humanity left in the people back home? or is there any new low they will sink to? I run out of words to describe what I am feeling right now, but some words I need to describe.

Being an Indian, I come from a country where we worship women in form of goddesses. We are taught family values of respecting a woman as a deity ( atleast most of us are, some people literally skipped that class it seems). Women are the source from which you get the gift of life in this world, your mother who welcomed you to this world is a woman! As the course goes on of life, women always have a constructive influence on your life in the form of mother, sister, girlfriend, friend and wife. I have many women in my life, who I respect for what their influence has been in my life. I come from a family where my Mom is a strong advocate for this respecting woman ideology. She has made it very clear to me since childhood that if I can't respect a woman, then I am for sure not her son. I've learnt a lot from her and have always been instructed and believed to in respecting women.

But this isn't about me. Its just the way children are brought up and should be brought up. Most of us are brought up in the same way I am. This is about what is going on in Delhi, Meghalaya, Assam. Trust me I am not being biased geographically or creating a state-divide. This is a general thought process. There have been cases of rape and women abuse since quite a long time, it's just that these are coming out now and getting to the public now. These things have been going on for long time and have always been suppressed by power of the money or politics. Let's recap to the incident of the unfortunate Nirbhaya. What had she done? Was it her crime to go out with her boyfriend to watch a movie and take a bus to go home? People and mainly sick politicians have made it a political playground and also commented that she was wrong? ARE YOU FUCKIN KIDDING ME? Isn't our society that much capable enough to provide women with security enough that they can go out and enjoy their life?

Post-Nirbhaya now. Did the rapes stop after the public so passionately protested their hearts out for her justice? has justice been served? on the other side, the asshole who was most brutal with that poor girl is going to get away with it just because he is a juvenile. Flaws of our fucked up law system. After this episode there have been so many cases: - Rape at the New years party, the constant 3-year rape scandal in Gujarat and now this, if not equally, even more sickening act of raping a 5 year old girl who is barely stepping into her life full of prospects and dreams. Her life, her dreams, her belief in the ideal of humanity, her family, ALL SHATTERED by this one atrocious act of a vile individual.

I've heard so many instances over the last few days where women have been raped and even slaughtered in order to achieve a certain set of targets. They have ranged from treating them as toys for your sexual pleasure, a means to gain revenge or to send out a message. Basically, as a toy. It's time we all understood that women are not toys for men to use and molest for their own disgusting needs. They have an equal right to live and enjoy their life the way we do. They have dreams, they have the right to live their life. A lot has been said that women encourage these deeds by wearing short clothes, going to parties and dancing with boys ( read this as "nanga-naach") and having no ethical values. I have a question for people who are setting such restrictions on women. Dear whosoever you are, who are you to decide what women can do and can't? when your son can go out and do whatever the hell he feels like, why would you put shackles on a daughter from having fun and enjoying her life? Also, the people in the society have become spineless and they take fun in such deeds happening to girls? Take for instance the girl who was stripped in the middle of the street and molested by a bunch of morally devoid people while the public, like impotents, watched her getting molested, laughed at her misery and did not even fuckin move a muscle. In the far east India, girls are raped in the streets by men overdosed in drunken ecstacies and dumped into streets as a you a throw trash after you are done using those things. I feel disgusted by such scenarios and wonder, would you stand and witness if these kind of deeds are done to your own mother, sister and friend? I think so that question is enough for every single man to do some soul-searching.

All that being randomly said, the moral of the post (if we have any morals left) is that it our social responsibility to correct the wrongs of the society. There are so many factors that need to come together to eradicate the bias that exists against a woman in this society. The mentality that women are not equally capable as men has to change, we have to accept that women have the same rights and capabilities as men have. The first step I feel to win over this evil is to remove this "men are more capable than women" bullshit. That is from where I believe the respect from women will stem. A more strict judicial system to cope with these crimes. BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY AND THE MOST NECESSARY THING is that we as a society have to come together and try to instill values into our existing society and our future generations to avoid such deeds happening. It still seems that we haven't learnt anything from what has been happening and that has to change. I believe that unless you respect women, you have no right to be called men. You are just a downright pathetic excuse of a human being if you cannot respect women and use them as toys for your pleasure. I do know that blogging about this is not going to change anything back home and there are assumably going to be more sinister cases like this. Some will come out in the light of media while some are masked in order to avoid public shame to the affected's family. But what I can do is spread the awareness and values in my own righteous capabilities and take it on me that atleast in people close to me and whom I know, won't do anything like this. I, take it as my righteous responsibility, to educate my kids and friends about this and make sure I do my part. I am not going to crib and suggest massive changes to the police, law and government system in place. That is not going to accomplish anything. If each of us take it as our responsibility then and only then we can create a society where a woman can feel valued, loved, respected and most importantly, secure. It has become time, that we actually live upto and act like "MARD"

I would leave this post to a poem posted by Farhan Akhtar.
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rjs4vk

To the little 5 year old girl, I share your misery and anguish at your life being destroyed at such a tender age. Your dreams of life and your belief in humanity shattered. I pray for your well-being and hope hell has no fury on the scoundrels who have done this atrocity to you..


2 comments:

  1. Videet has been instrumental in portraying the prevalent problems in the ethos of the populous society. Its not just the portrayal but also the thought process of bringing in a change which has been the highlight of this article.
    Learned readers should always consider an idea from a different angle to bring in changes in the existing archaic system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well said. A true eye opener this one. People seriously need to grow up and change their outlook in such cases. I encourage you Videet to please continue this writing work. A definite worth a read.

    ReplyDelete